The Surbeck Farm has been owned by the Surbeck family for over forty years. Over that time it has become another home for relatives and friends. In the spirit of decades of opening a quiet, good place for other people to enjoy, the Surbecks are working with Farmfront as our first farm partner to find the next generation who will find fulfillment on their farm.
Where to find the Surbeck Farm
The nearest town is Patterson, Illinois, which is located in Greene County. The farm has the potential for multiple kinds of crops as it features old growth timber, fields, and hilly pasture with no known zoning issues. Additionally, it is within 2 hours equal driving distance of two metro centers, St. Louis, Missouri, and Springfield, Illinois.
About Greene County
- Located in an established farming region with the raw material and organized interest to diversify its economy including:
- The Carrollton Square Initiative
- The Lower Illinois River Valley-Rural Prosperity Initiative (LIRV-RPI)
- Geographically positioned in the Mississippi and Illinois river region to take advantage of the following:
- agroforestry methods for farm revenue and novel revenue-generation in otherwise undervalued and uneven terrain nearby the bluffs
- legalized hemp and marijuana cultivation under recent Illinois legislation
- Central location between two metro areas, nearby one vacation location, one local food-focused grocery store, one military base, and several post-secondary institutions
What is on the farm
The farm includes a mix of timber, pasture, barns, and crop land.
- Potential Specialty Crops and Projects
- Shitake mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms
- Hard wood harvesting
- honey bees